While COVID-19 is affecting so many people around the world, many people of our oldest generations are in isolation, quarantined, and bored. Now is a great time to connect with and learn from them.
What is Ask3Gens?
Ask3Gens is a social media campaign dedicated to accelerating the younger 4gens ability to seek knowledge from the oldest 3gens.
Ask, Ask, Ask!
Use the hashtag #ask3gens on social media to signify that you:
- are a 4gen (X, Millenial, Z) with an ask
- are a 3gen (Greatest, Silent, Boomer) available to answer
- are any gen able to connect an offline 3gen willing to answer
- have a project to collect, preserve, or share 3gen knowledge
Don’t know which gen is which? Check out our who’s who page!
How Ask3Gens Works:
- Ask if you are a 4gen (X, Millenial, Z)
- Use #ask3gens to find out about experiences unique to older people, or a specific generation (eg., “During World War II how did you…?” “On the first Earth Day, what did you…. ?”)
- If you’re asking, always be courteous. Even if you want to know how something failed, be polite.
- Don’t use #ask3gens for facts and stories you can find in a web search
- Don’t use #ask3gens to foster political debate – there are plenty of other places to do that!
- Answer if you are a 3gen (Greatest, Silent, Boomer) OR
- Answer if you can provide a connection to an offline 3gen with an answer
- Willing to answer means willingness to answer subject to availability– You’re not committing to 24/7 availability.
- Projects, Organizations, Companies (“Projects”)
- If you have a project or a company, you can also send the web address (URL) to us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, or LinkedIn.
- We will try to auto-confirm that the posts are legitimate, and periodically update our webpage with the links.
- IS working to promote the good work of others by relaying the names & URLs of projects
- IS working to accelerate asks and offer matching by creating a single shared hashtag
- IS working to make the younger 4 generations aware of the immediately available access
- IS asking people to determine/help 3 generations they know without social media
- IS NOT building its own platform of videos, interviews, or Q&A’s
DON’T GET SCAMMED!
Be aware there are always some bad people looking to take advantage of a good thing.
Don’t give any information that could be used to steal your identity.
For example, don’t give:
- Your birthdate
- Your middle name
- Your mother or father’s name
- Your social security, drivers license, or medicare numbers
Don’t give any information that would put you at risk of harm or theft.
For example, don’t give:
- Your address or a description that would make you easy to find
- Information about your savings, wealth, or belongings
Check out additional projects dedicated to knowledge transfer on our projects page.
Updates coming as the movement grows! Now, go ask! #ask3gens